Coming in hot with a dinner recipe for you guys! The other day I was on a total roll in the kitchen. Something about the cooler weather + cranky kids drives me directly to my cupboards and keeps me whipping up the goods. I had this dinner prepped within 30 minutes, leaving only the warming to do + sauce to “make” in the evening.
Dan has been swamped with work lately. To be honest, I admire that guy like you wouldn’t believe. Not only does he work full-time [plus some] – he is back to school to finish his degree. So days are busy with the kiddos, and the nights are even busier. As a stay at home mom I do take it to heart to try my best to keep the day flowing as easy as possible. Most days, that is a difficult task. This recipe made my evening SO much easier – and the hubs and I were able to enjoy a healthy dinner together after the kids went to bed.
The best part of this recipe? It cost me $10.35 to make! Wham bam thank you ma’am.
Eggplant $1.79 a piece ( I got two) Organic Tomato Basil Marinara Sauce $1.79 Organic Breadcrumbs $2.99 Mushrooms $1.99
I had two full sheets of breaded eggplant slices, leaving me enough left over to freeze a ziploc bag full for later use.
- Garlic Powder
- Herbs De Provence
- Salt and Pepper
- 1 Jar of your favorite Marinara (ours is Trader Joes Tomato Basil)
- 1 package of sliced mushrooms
- Pre Heat the oven to 375*
- Prep two large baking sheets - with foil and nonstick spray
- This recipe is really one you can make your own. I did not measure - it all depends on how big your eggplants are.
- Slice the eggplant into ¾ inch slices - set aside
- In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs
- In another medium bowl, whisk together the breadcrumbs and seasoning. I used a pinch of herbs de provence, a tsp of garlic powder and a pinch of salt and pepper. If you do not have Herbs de Provence simply use your favorite italian seasonings.
- Dunk each eggplant slice into the egg mixture. Let the excess drip off.
- Place the egg coated eggplant into the breadcrumb mixture, coating both sides.
- Place each coated slice of eggplant onto the prepared baking sheets.
- Spritz the tops of the eggplant with nonstick spray.
- Bake for 10 minutes at 375* - flip them once, and cook for an additional 10 minutes.
- While these are baking -
- In a sauce pan, saute the mushrooms with a bit of Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Once softened a bit, add your jar of marinara and keep this warm on the stove top.
- To serve, layer the eggplant slices with a healthy dollop of sauce + mushroom in between.
- Top with parmesan cheese
Snapped this picture at 8:30pm – so excuse the poor quality!
You could make this for a large dinner party, by simply adjusting how much you buy. Add basil on top if you want to give it a better presentation. At 8:30 at night, any food, regardless of its appearance is a beautiful sight!