I have to share with you all this “recipe” that I have made way too many times to count for family parties lately!
This has to be one of the easiest appetizers I have ever whipped up. It is my go to dish when I have zero time and want to share something with friends and family that is healthy and delicious.
There is no right or wrong way to make this! Sometimes I toast the crostini and other times I leave the bread as soft as it was when it left the bakery.
I have been known to take a big whiff of a fresh baguette as it’s in my arms leaving a store, not even realizing I’m out in public and people must be staring. Something about fresh bread that makes me weak in the knees. What can I say? I’m like the girls in an axe commercial but for baked goods. ALL. OVER. IT.
Chop and toss the topping together, slice the bread and assemble right before a gathering.
My family gobbles these up quicker than they are put down!
- 2 quarts grape tomatoes quatered
- handful of basil chopped
- 1 ball of fresh mozzarella, cubed
- 1 TSBP shallot minced
- 1 garlic clove minced
- balsamic vinegarette
- salt + pepper
- extra virgin olive oil
- 1 loaf french baguette
- SO - these recipe yields 20 pieces of crostini - if you need more, simply double the recipe.
- Slice the baguette into ¼ slices
- In a medium bowl, add quartered tomatoes, mozarella, shallot, garlic and basil.
- Add a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil + balsamic vinaigrette
- pinch of salt and pepper
- Stir together, and let sit until you are ready to serve (assemble within 30 minutes)
- Spoon the caprese topping over the sliced bread.
- Drizzle a smidge more of balsamic once they are ready to be served
These are light and flavorful and a much healthier addition to an appetizer table!