Remember in yesterday’s post when I explained how I get grossed out I can get eating food other people cooked sometimes? Well, its not just other people – it’s me too. I usually whip up cookies and brownies on the regular, and by regular I mean twice a week. Whether they are to be eaten or not, it’s relaxing to me and the smell that travels through the house beats any candle.
I whipped up a batch of these egg-less chocolate chip cookies the other day and they were one of the first baked good I have enjoyed in this entire pregnancy.
What’s the issue with me, the desert queen not eating any so far you wonder? Well it’s the damn eggs! I like my brownies fudgy, and my cookies soft and chewy and my type A, ocd mind makes me think that that qualifies them as “under baked”. So, I chicken out – not wanting to hurt the babe in any way and turn to a bowl of cereal instead. I was never like that with the boys – perhaps since the miscarriage I have developed an over protective attitude about a few things. In any case, these cookies turned out SO amazing it makes me wonder why I ever include egg in the recipe in the first place.
The had a slight crunch on the outside, soft chewy center …. come to mama. Even better? Getting to taste the freaking cookie dough — Oh, you forget how heavenly those things taste when you go without them. Much like the wine I anticipate enjoying next summer …. let the countdown begin!
So if you have egg allergies, or ran out of eggs and have the rest of these ingredients, you are in pure chocolate chip cookie luck. I ate two the first night I baked them and the baby hasn’t let me touch them since (this nausea is still so come and go) – so please, someone else make these and devour them. Share the pictures of these beauties on social media and tag #thethomehome
- 2 sticks unsalted butter at room temperature
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 6 Tbsp water
- 3 cups unbleached all purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 4 Tbsp instant vanilla pudding mix (i use jello brand and always keep it in my cupboard for cookies!)
- pinch of salt
- chocolate chips ( we used a full 12oz bag, and ½ of another one)
- Preheat the oven to 350* line two baking sheets with parchment paper
- With a handheld mixer, in a medium bowl ....
- whip together the butter, sugars, and vanilla until light and fluffy
- Add the vanilla jello pudding mix, pinch of salt, and water
- Last but not least, add the flour and baking powder
- Whip it up until combined
- Add your desired amount of chocolate chips - we used a 12oz bag and ½ of a second one.
- Using a small cookie scoop, scoop out your cookie dough and place it onto your prepared sheets. Bake for 13 minutes, take out and "bang" the pan on your stove top to flatten them out (the poof in the middle will drop) bake for an additional 2-4 minutes.
- Let cool for 2-3 minutes before removing to a wire rack to complete cooling, if you can wait that long!
I am so happy this recipe turned out OH SO amazing. Now my belly can rest assured that it can have soft chewy chocolate chip cookies throughout the rest of this pregnancy without worrying about undercooked batter.
Phew. Aren’t you relieved for me? 🙂
p.s. have an appointment today, to hear the babes heart beat and follow up with the second run of blood work for screening. so far everything looks great, and we keep praying it stays that way! Brody changed his vote to a girl over breakfast this morning when I mentioned the babes heart rate – ha, this kid just wants to win the bet Dad made with them. Whoever guesses right gets a new video game.