I woke up this morning and went through my mental files of all that I could post for you today and these pumpkin bars were pushed straight to the top of the list. I’d like to blame it all on the pregnancy, but craving sweets is not on my radar. The boys, I liked everything, sweets and all – give it to mama, I’d eat it. This time around I’m a bit more particular, and for some odd reason I want veggies – Oh the #6 Veggie sub at Jimmy Johns calls my name daily and I try my best to ignore it, only falling for its calling once a week.
The nausea has been so daunting this pregnancy – that’s all new to me too. Maybe because it has been nearly 5 years I have been pregnant, my body is just doing this differently? But at 10 weeks, I’m still chugging along the “all day” morning sickness. Throw me some pasta, pickles, cheese and crackers, or carrots and hummus I am one happy lady.
I made these pumpkin bars a few weeks back, hoping they would be the perfect friend for a late night treat. I never got around to sitting down and eating a slice ( don’t worry, I tasted them ) and they are out of this world good. Instead I fed it to family, who loved it as well. Man, I miss my sweet tooth … but I guess I’ll balance it all out in pasta and veg.
(Sitting here with one of my main squeezes, Owen – whose been home sick all week. My handy dandy carrots and hummus and an intense game of tic tac toe. It’s all in balancing, this motherhood thing)
For now, make these, ASAP. Post me a picture on social media and tag me. Rub it in my face that you’re in the mood for sweets while I crunch away on what the land has given me. Oh sweet baby, you sure are twisting things up this time around!
I snuck a few bites straight out of the pan when I was taking pictures and I could not believe how moist (sorry if you hate that word) it was – the best pumpkin anything I had ever made – and now you can too!
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 2½ cups pumpkin puree
- 2 cups unbleached all purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 3 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- pinch of salt
- 1 block room temperature cream cheese
- ⅓ cup room temp unsalted butter
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Pre heat the oven to 350* Line a 9x13 baking dish with parchment paper
- In a large bowl, mix together the eggs, sugar, oil and pumpkin puree. Once incorporated, add the flour, baking powder + soda, pumpkin pie spice and salt.
- Stir all of the ingredients together - until the dry is mixed well into the batter.
- Pour into your prepared dish and bake at 350* for 20-30 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out with few, if any crumbs attached.
- Let the cake cool completely in the pan
- For the frosting, blend all of the ingredients together until smooth and fluffy. Frost your bars in the pan once they are completely cooled.
- Slice and enjoy! I kept our pumpkin bars covered in the fridge and they lasted all week long!