This is a sponsored post in collaboration with the one and only Wayfair.
Let’s eat CAKE!
Who has to be asked to make cake? Not this girl. Even at 2 weeks post baby, when I saw this campaign in my inbox I knew I had to jump on the opportunity to showcase one of our favorite summer cakes in the Thome home!
And if you are in need of cake pans, they’ve got such a fun variety – take a look HERE
Summer gatherings are at the top of our to-do list with the warm weather rolling in. Summer desserts are so much more enjoyable when you focus on showcasing fresh fruit with them. It not only takes a cake to another level, it lightens it up and brightens the entire thing. Helping to end a dinner on a sweet, but lighter note.
There she is, our favorite summer cake. A delicious moist vanilla cake, layered with scratch made whipped cream and your choice of seasonal berries (strawberries + blueberries for us!)
Not only is this cake a cinch to put together, it is a total showstopper with its height and color!
- 2¼ cup unbleached all purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp baking soda
- pinch of salt
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups sugar
- 6 Tbsp butter, cubed
- 2 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 Tbsp vanilla
- 2 large eggs
- 1 pint heavy whipping cream
- 1 tsp vanilla
- few tablespoons of powdered sugar
- sliced strawberries
- Here we go!
- Take a metal bowl and place it in the freezer before you start, letting the bowl get nice and cold for your whipped cream making later!
- Pre heat the oven to 350*
- Butter + lightly flour 2 - 8 inch cake pans and set aside
- In a medium sauce pan, over medium-low heat, dissolve the sugar in the water. Once dissolved, turn off heat and add the butter, stirring until melted. Once melted, pour into a seperate mixing bowl and set in the fridge to cool for 20 minutes.
- In the mean time, whisk together all of your dry ingredients.
- After the 20 minutes is up, take out the sugar/butter/water mixture and add to it the vegetable oil, vanilla and eggs.
- Mix the dry ingredients into the wet, stirring until incorporated.
- Bake at 350* for 20 minutes or until toothpick comes our clean once inserted
- Let cool completely before removing from pans
- Once the cakes have cooled, and removed from the pans - it's time to make the whipped cream and assemble!
- Take the ice cold bowl out of your freezer and get your handheld mixer.
- Simply pour the entire pint of heavy whipping cream into the bowl and get mixing. About 4-5 miuntes in you will notice the cream getting thicker and thicker. ADD up to 4-6 tablespoons of powdered sugar and a tsp of vanilla. Mix until you form a thick whipped cream.
- NOW - assembly, super easy guys!
- Place one layer of cake down -- decorate with berries, and spoon large dollops of whipped cream over top. Smooth it out. Place second layer of cake on, repeat berries and whipped cream. And decorate the top with berries however you'd like!
- Place cake in fridge if you are serving at a later hour - or serve right away.
- Ours stayed fresh for days in the fridge!
A few shots of the process —
Let the cake cool while you make the whipped cream
Once cooled, layer to your heart is about to burst with excitement
There is no such thing as too much whipped cream. EVER.
If you can contain your taste buds and let it sit in the fridge, do so – but how easy is this to have for a dinner party. Make everything in advance and layer together when your ready to serve? Whoa Martha – slow down.
Do you have a favorite cake to make for summer? I have a feeling this will be making another appearance at a family party this holiday weekend!
vanilla cake recipe barely adapted from : thenovicechefblog